LPQ Converts to LED Lighting

Posted on Company News, November 15th, 2013

_MG_8144

Next time you step into one of our locations, take a moment to notice our lighting. Aside from perhaps our communal tables, our cozy atmosphere is one of the most noticeable aspects of our stores. To achieve this warmth, we pay special attention to our lighting, using hanging lamps and track lights to set the tone. However, illuminated all day long, these fixtures can quickly consume a lot of energy.

In an effort to further reduce our environmental footprint on the store-level, we decided to convert our signature lighting to LED in all of our stores. Maintaining our characteristic ambiance was important to us, so our design team worked closely with our partners at LED Next to find the most energy-efficient bulbs that wouldn’t alter the warmth of our space.

The reasons to switch to LED are compelling. Here are some of the reasons why we are making the switch:

  • Energy Reductions: LEDs cut lighting demand by 80%, therefore energy usage is greatly reduced.
  • Efficiency: Incandescent bulbs are rather inefficient, transforming only 20% of the available electricity into light, dispersing the rest as heat. LEDs, on the other hand, covert 80% of their energy into light.
  • Reduced Heat: As LEDs disperse so much less heat than incandescent bulbs, they will save on cooling costs. Reducing heat in our store means reducing the strain on our cooling units.
  • Longer Lifespan: The lifespan of LEDs is approximately 33 times that of incandescent bulbs. Needless to say, this saves money on purchasing the bulbs over time, but also saves precious space in landfills.

So far, we have nearly completed our conversion in the New York City region and will be checking off the remainder of our stores in the coming months. Throughout this process, LED Next has been a vital partner in making this shift, working alongside our team and Con Edison to make this transition a success. Always looking for ways to be more sustainable, we are proud to make this important step towards energy efficiency, and encourage you to consider ways to reduce your energy usage at home!