- 165g (1 1/3) cups organic white flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3g (1 1/2 tsp) cocoa powder
- 204g (7oz) organic butter
- 165g (scant cup) sugar
- 3g (1/2 tsp) vanilla extract
- 3 organic eggs (room temperature)
- 50g (1/3 cup) organic Half & Half
- 10g (2 tbsp) LPQ Organic Espresso Grounds
- 1 tbsp organic Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Lemon zest
When it comes to pairing coffee and cake, we can't think of a better match for our organic coffee than our organic Espresso Cake! Although it's only around in our bakeries through the end of September, you can keep on enjoying it after the month is over at home with this recipe.
As bakers, we prefer to measure our ingredients in weights because it's much more precise. If you need some convincing, be sure to read this, otherwise, pull out your scale and get baking!
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and espresso.
- Using the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest together until fluffy and lighter in color. This will take at least 8-10 minutes.
- Add the eggs very slowly and gradually, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and mix to barely incorporate it.
- Then add another 1/3 of the dry ingredients, followed by the remaining liquid.
- Mix in the remaining dry ingredients, being careful not to over mix.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and spread evenly.
- Preheat the oven 350° and bake for approximately 55 minutes.