(Makes 1 Large Galette)
For the pastry:
- 2 cups flour
- 1.5 sticks very cold butter, cubed
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup ice cold water
For the filling:
- 1 quart sliced strawberries
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
For the ganache:
- 3 oz dark chocolate
- ¼ cup heavy cream
Egg wash & Topping:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp water
- Turbinado sugar
Nothing says summer like a rustic galette filled with bright berries and a perfectly golden crust. Beautiful in its simplicity, the galette is an impressive dessert to add to your summer repertoire.
With hand folded edges, this free-form style of tart accommodates even the most novice baker's skill level - the beauty being that the more "rustic" it looks, the better!
This recipe combines tart strawberries with luscious chocolate ganache, however with this simple pastry dough base, the filling possibilities are endless! After mastering this one, why not try a mix of berries, a stone fruit or even a savory option?
For the pastry:
- Combine the flour, salt and sugar together in a large bowl. Add the cold butter pieces, coating them with the flour mixture.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture using your hands, working quickly to avoid warming the butter (alternatively, use a food processor), until the largest pieces of butter that remain are no larger than the size of a pea.
- Add the cold water a few tablespoons at a time to the mixture until the dough starts to come together to form a ball. The dough will look a little shaggy at this point, with some dry bits of dough still in the bowl. Try to incorporate as much of the stray pieces of dough as possible, adding drops of cold water if necessary.
- Press the dough into a flat disc, wrap with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.* Meanwhile, prep the filling.
For the strawberry filling:
- In a medium bowl, combine the hulled and sliced strawberries with the lemon juice, corn starch and sugar.
- Set aside while you prepare the ganache.
For the ganache:
- Chop the chocolate coarsely and put in a medium bowl.
- In a saucepan, warm the cream over medium heat, removing once it reaches a low boil.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate in the bowl and let sit for 3-5 minutes. Whisk until well blended. If the chocolate is not at room temperature at this point, allow to stand until cool.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Remove the dough from the refrigerator. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a circle approximately 1/8-inch thick. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spread ganache evenly across the pastry, leaving 1 1/2 – 2 inches around the edge of the dough clear.
- Scoop the strawberry filling with a slotted spoon and arrange on the dough. Don’t add too much juice to avoid having it run out the sides!
- Starting with the dough closest to you, fold the outer edge towards the center. Rotate the galette, bringing a new section in front of you. Fold this edge toward the center and continue. Once you’ve made it all the way around, check that there are no holes or weak spots. You can patch these up with extra bits of dough.
- Gently brush the egg wash on the crust and lightly sprinkle sugar along the edge.
- Bake at 450°F for 20 minutes, or until the crust turns golden brown.
See, wasn’t that easy? Feel free to drop us a line in the comments if you have a question, or if it’s hands-on instructions you’re after, sign up for one of our baking classes!
* Wrapped dough can last in the fridge for 3 days, or in the freezer for a month.
We haven’t come to this neighborhood yet.
Visit our International Page for all of our locations worldwide.