These days, it’s difficult to ignore the buzz about “superfoods” and all of their sensational health claims. But what exactly makes a food, well … super? Simply put, the word “superfood” is used to describe a food that is rich in nutrients and considered to offer health benefits.
At Le Pain Quotidien, we like to create dishes with a wide array of wholesome and botanical ingredients. These five ingredients are just a few of the foods on our menu that make the list. They’re easy to add to your meal repertoire and go a long way towards diversifying and enriching your diet!
- Chia Seeds: Packed with omega-3 fatty acids and high in protein and dietary fiber, these tiny seeds will leave you feeling full and energized. Sprinkle some in your cereal and smoothies – or make Chia Seed Pudding!
- Goji Berries: Rich in powerful antioxidants, these nutritionally dense red berries boast an array of vitamins and minerals. Gojis are perfectly suited for snacking or mixed with yogurt.
- Beets: Deep crimson, ultra sweet and earthy, these root vegetables are full of antioxidants and phytonutrients, as well as vitamin C and fiber. Try them raw, steamed or roasted. Chef’s Note: Beet greens are also delicious when sautéed!
- Quinoa: An ancient super food hailed by the Incans, this nutty, protein-rich grain has high levels of fiber, iron and riboflavin. Mix some up with your favorite vegetables and herbs for a hearty, protein-filled meal.
- Hemp Seeds: Soft and mellow, these high-protein seeds contain all nine essential amino acids. Also a great source of omega-3 and omega-6 essential fats, they’ll add a healthy boost to your breakfast, soups or salads.